Our mission is to provide revenue-generating entertainment through the sale of innovative lottery products and promotions that directly benefits the residents and the economic vitality of the District of Columbia.
Revenue for Our City
DC Lottery contributes millions of dollars
to the DC General Fund every year.
Beth Bresnahan was named Executive Director of DC Lottery in January 2018. She brings two decades of experience leading the marketing, communications, and business strategies of public and private-sector organizations, including a successful record at the Massachusetts State Lottery.
For four-and-a-half years, Beth played an integral role on an executive management team at the Massachusetts State Lottery. First, as Assistant Executive Director and later as Executive Director, she worked to enhance the lottery’s marketing programs, evaluate and revamp existing games, develop and launch new game offerings, draft policy and legislation, and implement greater operational efficiencies that produced four-consecutive years of record-breaking sales—including the organization’s first time breaking the $5 billion sales mark.
Beth left the Massachusetts State Lottery in 2015 to lead operations of her hometown newspaper, The Daily Item. As CEO of Essex Media Group, she helped the company evolve from a single, six-day-a-week newspaper into a full-blown media company offering eight publications distributed across Massachusetts’ North Shore region. Her previous marketing and communications work also includes serving as strategic consultant for multiple top-tier brands including BJ’s Wholesale Club, the Boston Red Sox, Citizens Financial Group, the NHL Players Association, and Wynn Resorts.
Beth earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of Massachusetts Amherst and also attended Salem State College.
In the Community
Founded in 1982, the DC Lottery is the District of Columbia Government agency that regulates the sale of gaming products and charitable gaming activities in the District of Columbia. Since its inception, the DC Lottery has awarded more than $3 billion in prizes to members of our community and transferred more than $2 billion to the District’s General Fund, which supports essential services in the District. Our licensing of charitable gaming activities has helped local nonprofits raise more than $134 million in support of social causes.
Our Players Win Prizes, We Win Awards
AMERICAN ADVERTISING (ADDY) AWARDS
- 2017 Silver: Television, "Unless I Win the Lottery - Mount Rushmore"
- 2015 Silver: Radio, "Department of National Insecurity" Campaign
- 2015 Silver: Radio, "Department of National Insecurity" Campaign - "Clumsy Jack"
- 2013 Silver: Television, "Chances" Campaign
- 2012 Best of Broadcast, "Intervention" Campaign
- 2012 Silver: TV, "Intervention" Campaign
- 2012 Gold: Integrated Media Campaign, "Intervention"
- 2012 Gold: Radio, "Intervention" Campaign
- 2017 Fleurry Award, "Neighborhoods"
- 2012 Excellence in Instant Game Advertising
- 2020 TV Spot (Gold) “Roaring Cash”
- 2018 Craft Cinematography for Local TV (Gold) “Neighborhoods”
- 2018 People’s Telly: Local TV Commercial for Local TV (Bronze) “Neighborhoods”
- 2018 General Entertainment for Branded Content (Bronze) “Neighborhoods”
- 2018 General Entertainment for Local TV (Bronze) “Neighborhoods”
- 2018 Craft-Videography/Cinematography for Branded Content (Bronze) “Neighborhoods”
- 2017 Entertainment Local TV, "Unless I Win the Lottery - Mount Rushmore"
- 2017 Craft Animation Local TV, "Unless I Win the Lottery - Mount Rushmore"
- 2017 Branding Local TV, "Luck Comes Out to Play"
- 2017 Entertainment Local TV, "Luck" TV Spot - "Sunrise"
- 2016 "Unless I Win the Lottery" TV Spot - "Zombie" for Walking Dead scratcher
- 2016 "Unless I Win the Lottery" TV Spot - "Tall/Small" for Washington Wizards scratcher
- 2015 "Unless I Win the Lottery" TV Spot
- 2015 "Real Winners" TV Spot
- 2014 Telly Award "Shooting Star" TV Spot
NORTH AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF STATE AND PROVINCIAL LOTTERIES (NASPL) AWARDS:
- 2018 Buddy Roogow Innovation Award for Best New Instant Game - "Neighborhoods"
- 2017 Buddy Roogow Innovation Award for Best New Instant Game - "DC-7s"
- 2016 Finalist for Best New Instate Game - "You Decide 2016"
- 2015 Finalist, Best New Instant Game - "CODEBREAKER"
- 2015 Best Integrated TV Campaign - "Unless I Win the Lottery"
- 2014 "Shooting Star" TV Spot
- 2013 Radio Ad Award
- 2013 Batchy Finalist Radio Ad
- 2013 Batchey Winner Best TV or Radio Spot
- 2013 Hickey Finalist
- 2011 Best New Draw Game - "Fast Play Games"